14 October 1601

            It is just my luck that Queen Gertrude would marry again before I had the chance of marrying her son for the first time.

            When Hamlet promised to marry me, I assumed we would have to wait an appropriate time for an engagement. With the coming threat of Fortinbras, though, the thought of our marriage slowly kept drifting farther and farther into the back of Hamlet’s mind like a leaf gradually being taken away to sea by the current.

            I knew I had to remind Hamlet about his promise, but then I recalled how my father always said it was a lady’s duty to stay silent. Before I could even begin to question disobeying my father, however, I heard that King Hamlet had died.

            Despite the courtship between the prince and myself, I knew not the king intimately. I would see him at times, with his beautiful queen on his arm or beloved son by his side, but I never spoke with him. Nevertheless, my heart grieved, and continues to grieve, along with the kingdom of Denmark.

            All thoughts of marriage evaporated as soon as I heard the news, leaving in its place only empathy for my love. Hamlet and I suddenly had something new in common: one of our parents was dead. Of course, my mother died when I was very young and I hardly remember her, so I cannot relate completely to Hamlet. Still, I felt as if I related enough to the situation to be able to comfort my prince.

            At least, I thought I would be able to, until I heard the news of Queen Gertrude’s upcoming wedding day.

            Although it has been about a week or so, I am still astonished that Queen Gertrude remains queen because she has married Claudius (or King Claudius, I should say, though the name does not sound quite right). I can honestly say I am not the only one to be perturbed by the unexpected occasion, which is understandable since King Hamlet has only been dead for a little more than a month.

             I dare not bring up the topic of marriage at a time like this. I know Hamlet has taken the death of his father despairingly, which is understandable, but he has taken the second marriage of his mother even harder. Whenever anyone speaks of marriage, Hamlet’s eyes transform from the color of a clear, blue sky to that of rigid, ice blue. He shuts everyone out, even his most dear Ophelia, who always leaves the door to her chamber room open for him.

            It is no wonder I was astonished when Hamlet appeared at my door tonight. There were no loving words, no caresses to recall sweeter times. Hamlet simply came in, shut the door behind him, and began to kiss me with such fervor that I barely had time to even think about how he was doing.

            Speechless, and left literally breathless, I comforted Hamlet with the only way I knew how at the moment, with the comforts of my body. I pushed away any incessant thoughts about whether or not what we were doing was morally correct. All I wanted to do was console Hamlet with my love and that is exactly what I did. Afterwards, he rose from my bed and took his leave, all without a word.

            It has been a few hours since and sleep has still not granted me its presence. I write to pass the time as I question how everything has been altered. King Hamlet is dead, Claudius now has the throne, and my Hamlet is almost as distant to me as the sky from the ground.

What would all this mean for the future of Elsinore? I know Queen Gertrude is a kind soul, but I do not know much about the new king. In addition, what would this all mean for the future of Hamlet and myself? I assume he still plans to marry me, although he has not mentioned anything of the sort for quite some time now. Does he still even want to be my husband or have me as his wife?

I yearn to speak these burning questions aloud, to Hamlet, my father, or my brother, to anyone willing to listen. I know I must not, though, as it is not my place as a woman and I do not wish to upset or disrespect my father and brother.

Oh, but how I do wish to speak my mind! How else will I silence these infernal questions?

Enough. I must attempt to sleep for it is late and the sun will soon stir awake the castle.

No comments:

Post a Comment